Spry Fox is looking for an Engineering Lead to help us work on a new, original game!
Who do we want
Spry Fox is looking for an Engineering Lead to help us tackle an MMO project that is quite ambitious by our standards. The ideal candidate has experience tackling the hard engineering problems inherent to MMO development and is, in general, a people-person who is enthusiastic about ensuring that the rest of the engineering team is firing on all cylinders and feeling good about their work. We want someone who can both roll up their sleeves and get things done when needed, as well as help others to do the same.
- You’ve been a tech lead or understudy on a shipped MMO project and have a deep understanding of the entire tech stack.
- You can help direct the architecture of the project on client and backend, as well as establish processes for deployment, staging, testing, scalability, and disaster recovery.
- You have the ability to communicate with all team members, including artists, programmers, and designers on the many tradeoffs required to build an MMO.
- You are comfortable driving long range planning for tech budgets staffing, and operating costs for the project.
- You are a C++ expert and have significant experience using UE4 or similar game engines.
- You have experience communicating across time zones for a distributed team. And you know how help everyone finish the project a better developer than when they started it.
What are we offering?
- 40 hours a week: we treat crunch like the result of serious mistakes that we’ve made, not a natural and inevitable part of the process.
- Interesting, highly original work in a small, supportive, and friendly team that views itself as a family first and a business second.
- The opportunity to work on a game unlike anything that has ever been made before, with (among other things) meaningful goals to improve people’s lives.
We love to see candidates from under-represented backgrounds. If you think you might fit our needs but aren’t sure, please, don’t hold back! Send us your resume. The absolute worst that could happen is that we’ll receive your email with gratitude and let you know that while this opportunity might not be the best fit for you, others we’ll have in the future could be. Best case, you’ve got yourself a new job with people who are psyched that you took a chance on us. 🙂
Please send your full resume, references, and anything else you think we should see to email@example.com.
What’s it like working for Spry Fox?
Spry Fox’s motto is “make the world a better place.” We try to do that through the games we make, whether that’s by designing MMOs that encourage the development of friendships and discourage toxicity, or by designing our puzzle game, Alphabear 2, to promote English language learning. We’re always asking ourselves “how does this game improve your life?”
We also strive to be a company that is a pleasure to work for. We hope to be an important but not dominating part of your life. We want you to have friends, family, hobbies, and a life outside of work. We want you to love your colleagues and know that they support you 100%. We want you to be proud of what you do and how you do it.
We make highly original games. Invention is part of our DNA. You’ll be working on designs that often don’t fit in a comfy genre box.
We’re fully remote, and have always (10+ years) been fully remote, which means you have the flexibility to work your 40 hours a week from where ever you like, and in whatever configuration you’d like. Take a mid-afternoon break to spend time with the kids! Start late because you’ve got a few errands to run this morning! As long as you have an overlap with your team almost every day, let people know what you’re up to, and don’t leave the rest of us hanging, almost anything goes.
We currently have Foxes in Europe, South Africa, South America, Canada, and the US. We have a retreat once a year to come together, bond, discuss the long-term future of projects and the company, and stay up way too late chatting around campfires.
We have lives outside of work. Lots of us have children. Different Foxes enjoy playing music, reading books, storytelling RPGs, solving rubiks cubes, talking politics, and/or traveling. Some of us even play games. 😉
Spry Fox recognizes crunch is a negative and counter-productive practice in our industry. While we can’t pretend that we’ve never crunched before, we make a serious effort to limit it, and we consider more than a couple of weeks of crunch to be a failure of management — something to be learned from and avoided in the future. We have never crunched for more than six continuous weeks in the ten year history of our studio (and even that has faded far into distant memory.)
If you’d like to learn more about us, please watch this short documentary video about Spry Fox that was filmed a couple years back!