NOTE: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
We’re looking for a writer who will work alongside our studio’s leadership to flesh out the narrative and write the characters for one of our upcoming nonviolent games. Like Cozy Grove, the story of this new game will be a critical part of what makes it memorable and impactful. And like Cozy Grove, this game will serve a wide audience that includes adults of all ages, and our narrative will not shy away from challenging topics.
For this position, we are requiring that candidates have written for at least one shipped, commercial video game or tabletop game, and preferably more. This is not a junior position.
We welcome candidates from anywhere in the Americas, Europe and Africa (timezone-wise, these locations have proven workable for our studio in the past.) Please note that our studio’s “core hours” are 10am to 2pm Pacific Time, so if you’re based in Europe or Africa, working for several hours during your evening will be a requirement of this position.
- Work with studio leadership to flesh out the world & narrative for a new live service game that will hopefully be updated and thriving for many years to come.
- Write character and quest dialogue. Work hand in hand with designers on the quest design.
- Lead/coordinate the efforts of any additional writers who are hired in the future to assist with the project. You will also be expected to work with the localization team in the future, to help ensure the best translations possible of our work.
Candidate Requirements (not optional)
- Written for at least one shipped, commercial video game or tabletop game, and preferably more
- Strong communication skills, both writing and voice.
Desirable Additional Skills
- Familiarity with life-sim genre, especially of Animal Crossing
- Project management experience is a big plus
- Experience planning updates for shipped games
What are we offering?
- 40 hours a week: we treat crunch like the result of serious mistakes that we’ve made, not a natural and inevitable part of the development process.
- Interesting, original work as part of a small, supportive team full of thoughtful people who care about each other and care about our impact on our players’ lives.
- The opportunity to work on a game that improves people’s lives.
- Work from home, always and forever. We’ve always been fully remote and we’re never going to have an office.
Please send your full resume, references, and anything else you think we should see to email@example.com. Additionally, please include several writing samples with your resume.
What’s it like working for Spry Fox?
Spry Fox’s motto is “make the world a better place.” We try to do that through the games we make, whether that’s by designing MMOs that encourage the development of friendships, or by designing our life sim, Cozy Grove, to encourage empathy, or by designing our puzzle game, Alphabear 2, to promote English language learning. We’re always asking ourselves “how does this game improve your life?”
We also strive to be a company that is a pleasure to work for. We hope to be an important but not dominating part of your life. We want you to have friends, family, hobbies, and a life outside of work. We want you to love your colleagues and know that they support you 100%. We want you to be proud of what you do and how you do it.
We make highly original games. Invention is part of our DNA. You’ll be working on designs that often don’t fit in a comfy genre box.
We’re fully remote, and have always (12+ years) been fully remote, which means you have the flexibility to work your 40 hours a week from where ever you like, and in whatever configuration you’d like. This is not something we’re just trying to adapt to in response to the pandemic. As long as you have an overlap with your team almost every day, let people know what you’re up to, and don’t leave the rest of us hanging, almost anything goes.
We currently have Foxes in Europe, South Africa, South America, Canada, and the US. We have a retreat once a year to come together, bond, discuss the long-term future of projects and the company, and stay up way too late chatting around campfires.
We have lives outside of work. Lots of us have children. Different Foxes enjoy playing music, reading books, storytelling RPGs, and traveling.
Spry Fox recognizes crunch is a negative and counter-productive practice in our industry. We consider more than a couple of weeks of crunch in a year to be a serious failure of management — something to be learned from and avoided in the future. And we have never crunched for more than six continuous weeks in the eleven year history of our studio (a blemish consigned to our distant past, hopefully forever.)
1 Comment in 'We’re Hiring: Writer/Worldbuilder'
May 19, 2022 at 2:55 pm
I can’t believe I saw this too late! Hopefully you’re hiring for writers again soon! Playing Cozy Grove for a second time and I’m loving it ❤️🐻