Tip for New Players: How to Counter Bolt.

Home Forums Archived (Inactive) Forums Highgrounds Hg – Tips & Strategies Tip for New Players: How to Counter Bolt.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  impronoucabl 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Matthew

Too many times, I find that when bolt is used against a new member, the player does not know what to do and they make critical errors. When you see that your opponent is using bolt, make sure that you pay attention as to how much bolt they are able to accumulate total out of all of their characters. If I, being your opponent, am able to accumulate 4 bolt, you should not put any characters on the front line that are unable to generate at least 5 attack power. If you are only able to accumulate 1-3 attack power with a single unit, then you are guaranteeing that your opponent will be damage more damage to your city then they should. If you use somebody with 4 attack power, make sure that they have a good enough secondary front row ability that will benefit you, otherwise you are just taking up a valuable position on the front row.

Just trying to help out. If you know of any other excellent counter to bolt-using units, feel free to post it below.

impronoucabl

Wound. Counters everything except defense/revenge.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that bolt goes through defense, so avoid using units like Grom to block bolt units.

Xyn

Wound even counters revenge if used right.

lengthyusername

What about 2 bolt units in general? 2 bolt alone will generate 14 attack against an opponent who has 7 units on the field. Not many units can generate 14 attack by themselves, and the ones that do are generally harder to get 14 attack with. (Revenge and deathbolt require you to have wounded units, Era is frail, Uvil and Chal have to be wounded, etc.)

Sure, you could “counter” it by not having 7 units on the field, but fighting with fewer units on your front row than your opponent’s isn’t a good position to be in. 6 units vs 6 units plus a 2 bolt user means your 6 units need to generate 12 more attack than your opponent’s other 6 units just to tie. If you only have 3 units in your front row, a 2 bolt user will only generate 6 attack, but your front row will have less than half of the number of units your opponent’s does. Even if one of your opponent’s units is only generating 6 attack, the other 6 units should have no problem overpowering your 3 units.

And don’t say Wound. If you have too few wounding units, your opponent will have no trouble healing your wound after you inflict it (this faction has Ino). If you have too many wounding units, you’re fighting with a greater attack disadvantage since you have units not generating attack on your front row.

Ink is really cheap for what he’s capable of. 9 crystal for 14 attack is great, especially when compared to most other units who can generate 14 attack. (Era costs 15, is frail, and can’t bypass defense.) Ink’s cheap enough to be included in what may have been the strongest army Highgrounds has ever had. Renegade really doesn’t do a good job of hindering Ink.

Jacen only costs 11, which is worse than Ink, but still really good. That one defense of his is either another point of attack you have to overcome or a hindrance when you’re trying to wound him. That becomes even worse if it’s backed by protect.

Commanders with 2 bolt can become totally ridiculous. 2 bolt alone only costs 10. 2 bolt + 12 honor can generate 26 attack for 20 resources, the same cost as a Blight. On top of that, there’s potential for a strong back row ability as well to give it very good versatility.

impronoucabl

> If you have too few wounding units, your opponent will have no trouble healing your wound after you inflict it

That’s not the point. You use wound to prevent the enemy from making actions *This* turn. If you have a spike & you wound 3 units, you have prevented the damage those 2 units below would do. As long as they are wounded every turn, then spike’s doing his job.

> generally harder to get 14 attack with. (Revenge and deathbolt require you to have wounded units, Era is frail, Uvil and Chal have to be wounded, etc.)

And Ink required an opponent to have a full front row. Consider any 1v1 situation with the aforementioned units. Ink loses on pretty much all of them. You’d can try and win before they can fill up their front row full of rampage units etc. Trust me, revenge burnout armies WILL over power ink armies in the very late game.

If you’re looking for a general strategy against bolt, I suggest spearhead/ acolytes. They’re more expensive, but are more space efficient.

As for balance, I’m unsure, as I haven’t played against enough crystal armies to make a complete judgment with this new patch. But 9 Crystal means you could rush him out as early as turn 3, & if you have no wound, then that’s gg for all rush armies. Even if you do, the moment they play Ino, then its gg. I’d say its under priced for that early pace, but not necessarily for having 14 attack.

>Commanders with 2 bolt can become totally ridiculous.

Spearhead 2 only costs 7, & with honor 15, generates 29 attack for 20 resources, not to mention it is far more reliable than bolt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Hg – Tips & Strategies’ is closed to new topics and replies.