Stagnating a bit

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  quevim 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

quevim

I’m having some fun with high grounds. It’s pretty tight as games go.

That said, I’m having a little trouble countering decks heavy on wounding, and vs decks that just build up to astronomical damage I don’t really have any wonderful wounding units like Spike or Rune to properly disrupt, unless my opponent has minimal defense. I feel a bit like I’m playing rock/paper/scissors, but I haven’t purchased the paper or scissors.

Heck, I’m having trouble building and effectively using anything but a 2x Gaeis golem deck. The builds presented in the forums here are interesting, but so far they all rely on units I don’t have (even just common/uncommon ones). Might anybody have some insight into my options with the units I DO have? Here’s the list:

– COMMANDERS:
    Alpha – cost 12, 2 drain/4 recruit </> 2 honor/3wound
    Bravo – cost 7, 4 recruit/2 defense </> 2 rampage/1 bolt

– GOLD:
    2x Groff
    2x Kaite
    Tarim
    2x Ramm
    2x Domino
    2x Abban
    Epherius
    Jonas
    2x Hector
    Payne
    2x Jolien
    Grom
    2x Harden
    2x Rosie
    Durant
    Willem
    Scrapper
    Oakley
    Pitt
    Harum
    Hale
    Bin
    Marshall
    2x Vince
    2x Lapp
    Arthur
    2x Morgart
    Hagel
    Herold
    Evelyne
    Pency
    2x Remi
    Serge

– CRYSTAL:
    2x Tamurum
    Rorth
    2x Rahnn
    2x Yuolen
    2x Ino
    2x Craun
    Faiser
    Jion
    2x Varo
    Berna
    2x Yuo
    2x Loom
    2x Lyss
    Striker
    2x Ghast
    2x Molo
    2x Talas
    Atrophus
    2x Fiss
    Zender
    2x Mana
    Ruel
    2x Pep
    Chal
    Doro
    2x Gaeis
    Tagon
    Dalint
    Aethon
    Igmund
    2x Ghasper
    Urn

– WOOD:
    Kil
    2x Squint
    Pyras
    Tik
    2x Slog
    Gumil
    Myter
    2x Roko
    2x Diug
    Grove
    Elgi
    Curio
    Noch
    2x Flyt
    2x Ansel
    2x Oberos
    Mag

– FREE/MIXED COST:
    2x Mull
    2x Qit
    2x Jiast
    2x Ob
    Rowa
    Ozzle

impronoucabl

I’m in the same boat you are, however it looks like you are lacking a bit (more) on wood units. Unfortunately, aside from rushing mos armies you come up with will be semi-viable, will remain so for quite a while. May I ask how long you’ve been playing? And how many faction packs you’ve bought?

Note with only uncommon & commons it is still possible to make n awesome army, but you’ll need all of them. Rares are the crucial units for more specialized armies.

Xyn

I’ll mess around a bit and see what I can build. You have some decent units there, but also some missing commons and uncommons who could really help.

Are you sure you have no Johnn’s (little farmer dude, costs 2 gold, produces 2 gold in back)?

I’ll post what I come up with, using the units you listed. Make sure you haven’t left any out, because every unit counts when your selection is limited.

Xyn

Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

Gold:
    Commander: Bravo
    1x Tarim
    2x Ramm
    1x Epherius
    1x Jonas
    1x Payne
    1x Grom
    2x Harden
    1x Durant
    1x Hale
    1x Arthur
    1x Evelyne

Crystal:
    Commander: Alpha
    1x Rorth
    2x Ino
    1x Jion
    1x Berna
    2x Loom
    1x Striker
    1x Atrophus
    2x Mana
    1x Chal
    1x Igmund
    2x Ghasper

Wood:
    Commander: Alpha
    1x Kil
    2x Slog
    1x Gumil
    2x Roko
    2x Diug
    2x Ansel
    1x Mag
    2x Ob

It’s always a good idea to try and keep a deck as small as possible, but it’s especially important when your selection of units is limited. If possible, try not to exceed 16 units unless you have a very good reason to do so. Eventually, 20 or 21 units should be the number to try not to exceed, but even then, smaller tends to be better.

quevim

Unfortunately, yes, that’s an exhaustive list (no Johnn to supplement Harden). I’ve been playing on and off for 3 or 4 months now, have purchased 2 of the older 100 gem packs (gold and wood, I think) and 2 of the newer 200 gem packs (both crystal). My thinking was I could get the common/uncommons I needed without bothering too much about the rare+ unit until later.

Thanks for your input so far, xyn!

I’ve tried a dog deck, but with just 3 dog pack units the damage output is pretty low. Those 15 city HP just don’t melt fast enough before drain/arrow/wound units rain on the parade. 3-5 units with low/no defense that must stay together are a perfect target.

I’ll give that bolt crystal deck a try, and your twist on the Arthur deck I’ve played since I started may make a big difference if I learn how to use it well, we’ll see. :-)

quevim

Oh, I missed one detail on that list: Alpha is type golem. For the longest time I only had 1 Varo and 1 Gaeis, so I needed another golem to make the sort of damage needed.

Xyn

The dogs are definitely going to be a bit weak, but don’t give up on them too fast. You can use a Roko at the top end of your pack for a tiny bit of extra defense.

The best thing about having limited units is that it really forces you to become clever at positioning your units. I wouldn’t recommend playing that Dog deck very often (a second Gumil will make it more Viable, and a Kren or two and a Blight or two will really make it decent), but it should still be able to win you some games.

The biggest problem is that, as you mentioned in your original post, you’ve got rock, and the lack of having paper or scissors is limiting who you can beat. So if you are having trouble beating an opponent with Dogs, don’t even bother using that deck until later when that player isn’t on or isn’t searching for new untimed matches.

But just take some of those decks and put them to use occasionally. Learn where and when to place the units. Try adding or subtracting a few units from the decks and see what works for your play style.

And most importantly, pick what faction you want to focus on for the time being. It sounds like you have an interest in Crystal, so I’d say keep getting those 200 gem Crystal boosters for now. You’ve already got 2 Mana, 2 Loom and 2 Ghasper, so once you have a second Rorth and maybe a Tempest or two you’ll have a pretty good baseline to build a Crystal deck from.

I’d definitely stick with the 200 gem boosters, at least until you have all of the commons in the game, perhaps even until you have all of the uncommons. Definitely switch from the Crystal boosters to the Wood or Gold boosters once you have all of the Crystal uncommons and/or all of the Crystal commons.

quicksilver89

Looks like you could make a pretty good fox deck. I would recommend the following, especially if you get thief for Bravo:
    1 Kil
    2 Squint
    1 Pyras
    1 Slog
    1 Roko
    2 Diug
    2 Flyt
    1 Ob
    1 Rowa
    1 Ozzle
    Bravo

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  quicksilver89.

impronoucabl

I just updated my guide too, in case you’re interested.

https://spryfox.com/forums/topic/army-building-tips-ver-2-0/

quevim

Nope. None of those decks has won a match against an even half-way decent player except by time-out forfeit. I’m stuck with double Gaies every day of every week for a long time, I suppose.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Hg – Tips & Strategies’ is closed to new topics and replies.