Some bears don't provide point boost

Home Forums Alphabear AB – Bugs & Technical Help Some bears don't provide point boost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  astorea 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

pinkrobotlala

Some bears that I try to use, such as Robber Bear and Stretch Bear, claim to have a point boost, but don’t affect my final score. This has caused me to lose out on the Treasure Events multiple times. Is it happening to anyone else?

I assume that you are referring to the “Final Score Bonus” (henceforth, “FSB”) because Stretch Bear’s other contribution is extra time in timed games, and Robber Bear’s other contribution is an increased number of B’s on the board.

The FSB is having the appropriate effect. You may not be seeing it because of how we’re breaking down the numbers on the Your Score screen, but you can see this if you do the following:

1. Take only Stretch Bear into a game and click a single tile. The default score for playing a tile is 5 x [whatever number is on the tile], but the score shown in the Submit Button will be more than that because of the FSB. Thus, you can see that the FSB is affecting your score as displayed on the Submit Button.

2. Complete a word and submit it. When you do so, observe that the number from the the Submit Button is added to your score in the upper-right corner. Thus, you can know that the points from #1 are making it to the upper-right corner.

3. Play out the game. When it ends, make a note of the score in the upper-right corner BEFORE the bears on the board get tallied. If you can, also grab a screenshot of the bears on the board when their point values are shown (just before these points also fly up to the upper-right corner).

4. After the bears on the board have been tallied, Tap Anywhere To Continue to get to the Your Score screen. Observe that the “Letter Score” is the score that you noted in #3. Thus, you know that the FSB’s effect is making it into your Letter Score.

5. Examine the screenshot you took in #3. Confirm that each bear’s score is ( ( Area ^ 1.85 ) * (1 + FSB) ), rounded down. The FSB in the last term should be written in decimal form. E.g., if your FSB is 16%, then you should plug 0.16 into the formula. If this checks out, then you know that your FSB contributed properly to the point value of each bear.

6. Add up the points from all the bears in your screenshot. Then compare the total to the Big Bears score on the Your Score screen. If these check out, then you know the FSB’s effect has made it into the Big Bears score.

I hope that helps! For what it’s worth, we intend to reorganize the Your Score screen to better call out how each bear is contributing. But the good news is that your bears are not broken; the FSBs are boosting your score.

astorea

(I didn’t realize that bears that have a FSB give a bonus with each word, but I see that now.) I tried doing the math you suggested but I must be missing something. From what you said in #5, does that also mean they give an additional bonus at the end of the game, based on how big they are? If that’s true, and you finish with one big bear (assuming you were using 3 bears that all gave a FSB), do you only get that specific bear’s FSB?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Please see this page: https://spryfox.zendesk.com/entries/63831660-Tell-me-more-about-the-Final-Score-Bonus-FSB- . It contains some further information, including an numerical example of how the FSB applies when counting up the bears on the board at the end of the game.

>> From what you said in #5, does that also mean they give an additional bonus at the end of the game, based on how big they are?

FSB contributes in two ways: 1) as you score points for playing each letter/word, and 2) at the end of the event when scoring the bears on the board. I think you’re asking about #2, and so I think the answer is “yes.”

>> If that’s true, and you finish with one big bear (assuming you were using 3 bears that all gave a FSB), do you only get that specific bear’s FSB?

What I haven’t yet written in this thread is what happens if you choose multiple bears for an event. (It is written in the FAQ I linked to.) If you choose multiple bears for an event, then at the start of the event we add up the FSBs of the chosen bears, and that’s the FSB we use in all calculations. E.g., let’s say that you choose a 1000% FSB Fore Bear, a 200% FSB Stretch Bear, and a 30% FSB Doggy Bear (I’m not sure this is possible; I’m just making up numbers for an example). The FSB we’ll use in all calculations is 1230% (the added-up value of all the bears you chose). If you finish the event with one big Doggy Bear, we plug 1230% into the formula. If instead you finished with one big Stretch Bear, we’d still plug in 1230% into the formula.

(If you want to think about it this way, once you’ve selected your bears and are playing the event, the scoring is identical regardless of which bears appear on the board.)

astorea

Cool, that makes a lot more sense. Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘AB – Bugs & Technical Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.