Major unexpected change

Home Forums Road Not Taken RNT – Bugs & Technical Help Major unexpected change

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Scott (Spry Fox Support) 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Mako

In the last few weeks, there has been a major gameplay change that doesn’t make sense to me and that no one seems to be talking about. Before, if you died, you’d have to restart your current level. Now, suddenly, you have to restart your entire career and start from scratch. I can make it to the double-digit levels without dying, but as gameplay gets more challenging, death is inevitable. This is a major change and it is really frustrating. Is this a bug that I’m the only one experiencing?

Another thing I’ve noticed is that now when you leave your house, the next screen is the town square and not the screen just outside your house.
    Are these things happening to anyone else? Love this game, hate these changes…

>> Before, if you died, you’d have to restart your current level. Now, suddenly, you have to restart your entire career…This is a major change and it is really frustrating.

I think you’ve been playing the game for a while under a mistaken assumption. Since the game’s initial release in August, each time you die the default behavior is that a new ranger starts a new career from Year 1. You can get around this default behavior by establishing a checkpoint via a Shrine, as described in this FAQ: https://spryfox.zendesk.com/entries/52012164-How-can-I-avoid-starting-over-from-the-beginning-each-time-I-die- . (The article happens to have a date, so you can see that this was the case even back in August.)

My guess is that, prior to the last few weeks, you always happened to have an active shrine checkpoint and so you were always resurrected when you died. And in the last few weeks for some reason you’ve been choosing not to activate the Shrines, and accordingly you have not been getting resurrected.

You can read more about how death works here: https://spryfox.zendesk.com/entries/52016094-What-happens-when-I-die- . Aside from being more generous with how many items you retain after death, how death works hasn’t changed much since the game’s initial release.

>> Another thing I’ve noticed is that now when you leave your house, the next screen is the town square and not the screen just outside your house.

Actually, this too has been in the game since its initial release in August. During development, we observed that players might talk to the villagers once while walking from the Tutorial to the first mission, but would rarely return to the western part of town to talk to them again after the first mission. (This makes sense from the player’s perspective–talking to the villagers doesn’t benefit the player at all until after gifting begins in Year 2, so why would you return to talk to them?) As a result, players never discovered the gifting aspect of the game.

In an attempt to address this, the first time a player exits the house in each career, the game spawns him/her at the western end of town. The player then has to walk east past all the villagers with exclamation points over their heads, and will hopefully talk to one of them and learn about gifting. Subsequent exits from the house position you outside its front door, as you would expect.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘RNT – Bugs & Technical Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.