Generic Rush deck guide

Home Forums Archived (Inactive) Forums Highgrounds Hg – Tips & Strategies Generic Rush deck guide

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  impronoucabl 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

impronoucabl

So I’m just a free player, & seeing how there aren’t many guides out there o help other free players, I’d thought I’d make one.
    First off this will be a rush deck guide, as I’m most familiar with these types of decks., and also because they are easiest to make common/uncommon card pool.

As with most other free online CCGs, the No.1 limitation for the free players is their limited card pool. I suggest you expand it as quickly as possible, but don’t be put off just because you’re missing one or two cards; there are almost always a good substitute (+ your commander). Experiment with your available units to find the best army with your units.

RUSH BASICS

The simplicity of a rush deck lies with its speed. You win by destroying the enemy city before they can do anything. Decks that rely on pure economy for the first 3-5 turns will lose with little/no interaction, whereas armies that do have “rush defense” may prove to be a bit more tricky. A good benchmark to AIM for is a 5 turn win against a empty deck with your best possible draws. ( That pace should be fast enough against most lower leveled players. Against harder opponents, you have to be able to kill an empty deck in 4 turns {with your best possible draw}).

UNIT CHOICE

When making any deck, the are 3 main types of units to consider: Auxiliary units, economy units and combatants. Most actual units have a secondary type, with you may wish to consider (when doing so, keep in mind you can’t use both sides of the unit at the same time).

Auxiliary units
    These units support your army or debuff your opponent’s army. Ie Healers, wounders etc. Most rush decks will cut out these types of units, but don’t be afraid they’ll slow your deck down. Each army has its own pace & as long as the support unit doesn’t interfere with that pace, then it will be 100% fine.

Economy units
    Unless you have a CONSIDERABLE amount of free units in your army( hello spirits!), you will have at LEAST 1 economic unit for every 6 other units. There are a few reasons for this.
    1. The first hand you draw is guaranteed to have something you can play, not necessarily an economic unit. Any fewer economic units than this ratio, 7 it becomes unlikely you’ll draw one by your 2nd turn (assuming you’re using a town with 4 recruit.)
    2. Having economic units DON’T slow down your army (unless they cost more than 2 resource.{Usually. More later}) while you may still be able to play a unit each turn, playing an additional unit per turn generally offset’s the disadvantage of not attacking fr 1(especially in early game).

Combatants
    When choosing combatants, there are 2 things you should consider. practicality & efficiency.

Practicality
    A unit is practical if it can be consistently deployed & used to its full potential. I.e High costing or Dormant (without healers) units are not practical in rush decks.

Efficiency
    There are 2 types of resources in this game: Income and space. Income efficiency is the dominating factor in early game aggression, as you have plenty of unused space, but very little income. Space efficiency is the dominating factor in on-going games., as you will of run out of space, but have plenty of income.
    – Income is your resources from your city & economy units. An income efficient combatant does at least (1+cost) in damage/damage reduction per turn.
    – Space is a static resource. You start & finish with 10 spaces to fill, with a maximum of 7 on either the front or back row. The space efficiency of a unit is simply the flat amount of damage it can deal/prevent. Endgame, you should be looking to do 24+ attack power, meaning each front row unit has to generate at least 3 attack power (prevent an equivalent amount).

PLAYING YOUR DECK
    No two (non-identical) armies have exactly the same play-style. Best piece of advice? Know your army. Other than that, there are a few GENERAL tips:
    1. Learn when to be the aggressor when playing against other rush armies. The slower army wins if it stabilizes.
    2. leave an ace in the hole for when your opponents are about to stabilize (ie Rile) hopefully you can finish them off in that one turn, or at least leave them on <2 morale.
    3.Don’t forget about any secondary types your units may have, they will be surprisingly useful, especially during late-game.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ninja edit starts here
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I’d though I’d update this with more specific tips for newer players. (mostly mono-gold rush)

Turn 1 plays (back row)

The best turn 1 play any gold army makes is a turn 1 Harden. John is just as good, but harden is marginally better, as he can still be used effectively later in-game. 2 Pitts/lyons/hiros is a rare draw, but gives more flexibility on turns 2-3.

Barring John or Harden, Remi is probably the next best play, followed by Ramm. If you drew none of these, a lone pitt/lyon/hiro or kaite/serge should suffice. If you drew none of those, then begin consider if you should play aggressively on turn 1.

(front row)

Rush armies may throw in a rowa or 2, but don’t panic if you don’t have any, @ turn 1 your economy is far more important than your damage. Otherwise, if you have no back row turn one, consider the cost/benefits of tarim, rucke on either the front or back. If you’re fairly certain you can net 2 damage to your opponents hp, then put them in front. Otherwise you’ll usually keep them at back.

A single rowa is the worst draw you could probably get. Start with it out front.

Turn 2

Turn 2 is when everything begins. This turn may decide games, (unless your opponent stole on your 1st turn, n which case the game *may* be already decided) as this is the perfect time to play durants, gilds, and other disruptive units.

Similarly to turn 1, however, is the best turn 2 (imo) is double harden/john at the back row. This is a rare draw, but will put you ahead if they do choose to arrow your initial turn 1 unit (you produce 4 gold, they produce 2 (usually)). In fact, it will put you ahead regardless of whatever they do, unless they have monster resource commander, or get your same draw. If you get a chance to do this,THEN DO IT.

Other good common turn 2s are 1 evelyne*, 1 harden/john + 1 ramm/tarim/rucke, 1 durant (front).

These assume you had a decent turn 1. If you did not, consider your army, & think about disbanding your turn 1 unit for a better economy (barb armies tend not to). If you *still* did not draw anything useful, consider looking at your army builder if this happens consistently. Most armies ave 14-18 units max.

Turn 3 & beyond (hints & tips)

– Most gold armies cannot compete with crystal/wood early rushes/ late-game. Gold is best at the mid-game, with its “flexibility” (it isn’t very much atm), so don’t try to compete those armies in rushes with rushes, or late-game with good economy. Be the opposite of what they want to be.

– Wounded units are great shields against mass wound/arrow armies. Place them just above your defense unit.

– Don’t forget you can disband wounded units for extra $, you can use them as “windfall” units.

– Always move your key units around. Your opponent should be trying to snipe them with wounds/arrows. Don’t be lazy.

– Once you’ve played against a type of army, & are now familiar with it, try guessing your opponents moves & plan accordingly. Does your opponents always put spike at the top on turn 6?

– Be on the lookout for enemy commanders. They are wild cards, so READ THEM CAREFULLY (both their front & back abilities).

Rushing extra tips

For a specialized rush army (like mine), aim for a set amount of damage each turn. I personally aim for (1,2,3,4,5) so use that as a guide for how focused your army is. (with perfect draws, mine can be 2,3,5,7 assuming no defense whatsoever). With the addition on charity & greed, you may have to play a tiny bit less/more aggressive.

Economic armies tend to start worrying at around turn 4+. Check if they can afford ink/spike/rune/blight, or how much disbanding they’d have to do to get it out. If they have to disband 3+ units on turn 5, you still have a high chance of winning. If they’re still alive after turn 7 against an all-in rush army, it is highly unlikely the rush army will win.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Edit No.2 starts here
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Annnnnnnnd another update!

Faction match ups! The intricacies of turn 1 & 2 against different factions (& how to be a jerk).

Gold vs Gold
    See above.
    Be a jerk by using a turn 2 Durant.

Gold vs Wood
    See above. However, wood producers tend to be cheaper & fragile, so a turn 2 Lans is also good.
    Be a jerk by getting a turn 2 Payne. Particularly devastating if they only had a single Duig turn 1. Durant sometimes works.

Gold vs Crystal
    See above. Crystal producers tend to have defense/ other functionality, & guessing where the looms will be is somewhat of a pain. Lans is a great way to keep your opponent on an edge. Watch out for turn 2 Ryuns if you’re rushing.
    Be a jerk if they use a turn1 ghasper by getting a turn 2 Durant/ Lans.

Wood vs Gold
    If you have an option to place a producer front instead of back (on turn 1) then place it in front. There is that 5% chance you will ruin Rucke’s day with no drawback.
    Be a Jerk by getting out 4 units every turn (well, not really). Be more of a jerk later with Finches.

Wood vs Wood
    Be wary of fox armies. your producers are probably fragile, so take care to avoid wounds from assassins.
    Be a jerk by getting out a turn 1 Squint, or a turn 2 Kemp.

Wood vs Crystal
    Your producers should easily-out pace crystal’s economy (spirit rush aside). If they’re smart, you can’t really be a jerk to them.
    Be a jerk by getting out a turn 2 Kemp, especially devastating to Turn 1 Ghaspers

Crystal vs Gold
    Place your Looms/Yuos at the front (unless you’re expecting a turn 2 Lans) Beware turn 2 Durants.
    Be a jerk by stealing.

Crystal vs Wood
    Place your Looms/Yuos at the back. Beware turn 2 Kemps.
    Be a jerk by stealing, or with a turn 2 Ryun (front).

Crystal vs Crystal
    Place your Looms/Yuos at the back. Beware of stealing.
    Be a jerk by stealing.

That’s all the match-ups I’m putting up, as rainbow armies don’t yet have a distinct start.
    I DO NOT recommend you be a jerk. Being a jerk is somewhat risky & can be played around. I recommend you use this priority:

Awesome draw > normal draw > being a jerk > bad draw

These guidelines apply to ALL armies, not just rushes, or economic ones, and may change with new units, this is correct as of version 1.47

Good luck, have fun!

You may Ignore the below posts, they have been moved into this one.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  impronoucabl. Reason: moving newer posts up
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  impronoucabl.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  impronoucabl.

impronoucabl

So I’d though I’d update this with more specific tips for newer players. (mostly mono-gold rush)

Turn 1 plays (back row)

The best turn 1 play any gold army makes is a turn 1 Harden. John is just as good, but harden is marginally better, as he can still be used effectively later in-game. 2 Pitts/lyons/hiros is a rare draw, but gives more flexibility on turns 2-3.

Barring John or Harden, Remi is probably the next best play, followed by Ramm. If you drew none of these, a lone pitt/lyon/hiro or kaite/serge should suffice. If you drew none of those, then begin consider if you should play aggressively on turn 1.

(front row)

Rush armies may throw in a rowa or 2, but don’t panic if you don’t have any, @ turn 1 your economy is far more important than your damage. Otherwise, if you have no back row turn one, consider the cost/benefits of tarim, rucke on either the front or back. If you’re fairly certain you can net 2 damage to your opponents hp, then put them in front. Otherwise you’ll usually keep them at back.

A single rowa is the worst draw you could probably get. Start with it out front.

Turn 2

Turn 2 is when everything begins. This turn may decide games, (unless your opponent stole on your 1st turn, n which case the game *may* be already decided) as this is the perfect time to play durants, gilds, and other disruptive units.

Similarly to turn 1, however, is the best turn 2 (imo) is double harden/john at the back row. This is a rare draw, but will put you ahead if they do choose to arrow your initial turn 1 unit (you produce 4 gold, they produce 2 (usually)). In fact, it will put you ahead regardless of whatever they do, unless they have monster resource commander, or get your same draw. If you get a chance to do this,THEN DO IT.

Other good common turn 2s are 1 evelyne*, 1 harden/john + 1 ramm/tarim/rucke, 1 durant (front).

These assume you had a decent turn 1. If you did not, consider your army, & think about disbanding your turn 1 unit for a better economy (barb armies tend not to). If you *still* did not draw anything useful, consider looking at your army builder if this happens consistently. Most armies ave 14-18 units max.

Turn 3 & beyond (hints & tips)

– Most gold armies cannot compete with crystal/wood early rushes/ late-game. Gold is best at the mid-game, with its “flexibility” (it isn’t very much atm), so don’t try to compete those armies in rushes with rushes, or late-game with good economy. Be the opposite of what they want to be.

– Wounded units are great shields against mass wound/arrow armies. Place them just above your defense unit.

– Don’t forget you can disband wounded units for extra $, you can use them as “windfall” units.

– Always move your key units around. Your opponent should be trying to snipe them with wounds/arrows. Don’t be lazy.

– Once you’ve played against a type of army, & are now familiar with it, try guessing your opponents moves & plan accordingly. Does your opponents always put spike at the top on turn 6?

– Be on the lookout for enemy commanders. They are wild cards, so READ THEM CAREFULLY (both their front & back abilities).

Rushing extra tips

For a specialized rush army (like mine), aim for a set amount of damage each turn. I personally aim for (1,2,3,4,5) so use that as a guide for how focused your army is. (with perfect draws, mine can be 2,3,5,7 assuming no defense whatsoever). With the addition on charity & greed, you may have to play a tiny bit less/more aggressive.

Economic armies tend to start worrying at around turn 4+. Check if they can afford ink/spike/rune/blight, or how much disbanding they’d have to do to get it out. If they have to disband 3+ units on turn 5, you still have a high chance of winning. If they’re still alive after turn 7 against an all-in rush army, it is highly unlikely the rush army will win.

cheesy323

when i challenged you, i didn’t realize i was playing the best ;)

i want to know which units to use to make a good rush deck.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by  cheesy323.

impronoucabl

lol. I’d rcommend Tarim /Ramm as bread & butter. They are (one of) the highest resource efficient units in the game, + they can be space efficient with atk squire backing them up.

For a full rush army, Id recommend 1 (max) unit costing 5-6 (commanders not an exception), & nothing higher. I am missing my 2nd Ramm, so feel free to experiment with your current cards.

I didn’t realize how good Gernt was until I used him (he counters spike/rune fairly well).

I tried serge, & have yet to abuse him.

I used Willem before I got 2 Andors, great for stopping Durant etc.

I have mixed opinions about Rowa. for now, it works in my army so it stays.

Just off the top of my head, when you’re building an army, especially small ones, you’ve gotta stop thinking in pairs of units. If you do that, then you’ll run out of slots/create too big an army, in no time.

As for crystal (If you intend to go that route), I’d guess spirits would be a good rush army.

I’d assume you’d use Nevil, Gasper, Tamurum& Rorth. Talas & Zender are units I’d experiment with, as would be Pomis.

impronoucabl

Annnnnnnnd another update!

Faction match ups! The intricacies of turn 1 & 2 against different factions (& how to be a jerk).

Gold vs Gold
    See above.
    Be a jerk by using a turn 2 Durant.

Gold vs Wood
    See above. However, wood producers tend to be cheaper & fragile, so a turn 2 Lans is also good.
    Be a jerk by getting a turn 2 Payne. Particularly devastating if they only had a single Duig turn 1. Durant sometimes works.

Gold vs Crystal
    See above. Crystal producers tend to have defense/ other functionality, & guessing where the looms will be is somewhat of a pain. Lans is a great way to keep your opponent on an edge. Watch out for turn 2 Ryuns if you’re rushing.
    Be a jerk if they use a turn1 ghasper by getting a turn 2 Durant/ Lans.

Wood vs Gold
    If you have an option to place a producer front instead of back (on turn 1) then place it in front. There is that 5% chance you will ruin Rucke’s day with no drawback.
    Be a Jerk by getting out 4 units every turn (well, not really). Be more of a jerk later with Finches.

Wood vs Wood
    Be wary of fox armies. your producers are probably fragile, so take care to avoid wounds from assassins.
    Be a jerk by getting out a turn 1 Squint, or a turn 2 Kemp.

Wood vs Crystal
    Your producers should easily-out pace crystal’s economy (spirit rush aside). If they’re smart, you can’t really be a jerk to them.
    Be a jerk by getting out a turn 2 Kemp, especially devastating to Turn 1 Ghaspers

Crystal vs Gold
    Place your Looms/Yuos at the front (unless you’re expecting a turn 2 Lans) Beware turn 2 Durants.
    Be a jerk by stealing.

Crystal vs Wood
    Place your Looms/Yuos at the back. Beware turn 2 Kemps.
    Be a jerk by stealing, or with a turn 2 Ryun (front).

Crystal vs Crystal
    Place your Looms/Yuos at the back. Beware of stealing.
    Be a jerk by stealing.

That’s all the match-ups I’m putting up, as rainbow armies don’t yet have a distinct start.
    I DO NOT recommend you be a jerk. Being a jerk is somewhat risky & can be played around. I recommend you use this priority:

Awesome draw > normal draw > being a jerk > bad draw

These guidelines apply to ALL armies, not just rushes, or economic ones, and may change with new units, this is correct as of version 1.47

Good luck, have fun!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  impronoucabl.

impronoucabl

I will consolidating all of this guide into a new thread sometime soon, to increase user friendliness, removes repetition etc.

Until then enjoy my balance/bad luck rant:

Units of interest: Spike, Ozzle, Anrick, foxes

ANRICK

I recently had the joy of getting a new ultra rare last week or so. I got him. He is, by far, the worse one of them all.
    1. He has bolt 3.
    Compared to Ink, it should be bolt 4. 9C (Anrick doesn’t get any resources back for disbanding/using him either) can buy you a permanent 2 bolt, whereas it costs 13 for bolt 3 for 1 turn only. Yes you have to protect ink, etc, but you also have to recruit Anrick EACH turn as well.
    Not to mention bolt is a situational ability.
    2. He has 11 Crystal.
    He costs 13 crystal. I am not even breaking even. Not even close. I spend an entire turn, 13 crystals & 1 precious back space, just to get back 11 crystals next turn. If it was windfall, that might’ve been ok. But nooooooo you HAVE to use all of that crystal on your NEXT turn, not sure if you even can. At least give him 1/2 recruit to compensate. Drawing 4 cheap producers is stupid, especially when late game when you’ll (probably) only have space for one.
    3. He has ethereal.
    So far the only tactical (skill related) bonus for ethereal units is that they can’t be “wounded” during (or after) their action (they can still be before). They don’t stop honour (unless wounded). They don’t stop rampage. All in all, the only to benefit from ethereal-ness is to take advantage of a bug that blocks fireballs. Oh, & it only blocks ONE fireball, too.

I honestly tried for the entire week to find some way to make him viable, & I can’t find anything. At all. Drion would be awesome in my spike & blight army, Gorg is simply missing a player, Celina works with acolytes/ wizards (fyi you deckbuilders Jiast is royal), Ool is at least fun, maybe not strong, but fun; & Wren has that perfect balance between offense & defense & cost.

OZZLE (& other foxes, wood in general)

I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m pretty sure this is the root of all fox OP-ness. The annoying thing is any nerf to Ozzle puts him right next to Oberos, as a strictly better/worse unit. My suggestion is to maybe change his foxpack to wisppack of something like that. At least the W-C hybrid armies would enjoy that. I’m fine with Duig having 200% efficientcy in production, Ob being able to find any key unit. But unlike the other “free” resource producers, he produces wood @ the back, how am I supposed to simultaneously wound Duigs & arrow Ozzles on turn 2? (the closest solution so far, is to use Kemp, countered by Rowa). I have Lans, Durant, Payne, Marchall, Domino & Eder, & I see no way to effectively shutdown such an economy. Gabe *could* stop them for that turn 1 (since he steals from ALL units in the 1st row), but then you are 1 recruit & a unit down against foxes.

Of course you can beat foxes without the need to destroy it’s economy, I’m just frustrated with my luck. I have plenty of armies that can lock-down on foxes reducing them to 8-ish atk power. I lack any Cliff, Stag, Draiga, Covar, Horus or Marcellus to actually do damage. Yes I have an Arthur, but he is useless in this role due to his chivalry. Either they get a wounded unit to block him, or a blight (or equivalent that negates any bonus from Arthur.) I do realise that these are ultra/rares, but seriously, I’ve got 2 Pyras, a Lans & an Anrick, pretty much ALL of useless rares. I also have no legendaries :( Not sure if that’s normal though)

And then there’s Abbie. I don’t think she’s particularly broken, but I do wonder what you were thinking when you made her. Foxes are weak to wound, so it makes sense to have some defense. 4 defense is unusually high. It is special, because other than Ray, commanders & blight, no single unit can wound it. Not even the big scary spike, the bane to foxes. This is OK. To have a single unit to counter your counter is fine. The problem is when either it does its job too well, or when these units don’t exist for other strategies. Take the gold economy. Recently, that new troll, & Gerren help stoped most of the arrow/draining against gold economies. but there is no equivalent unit to stop Drake or Doken. Here, Abban is like Ray, commanders are still commanders & all the other solutions are in other factions. Either nerf give gold a 2 defense 3+ gold producer or nerf Abbie. Or………………

SPIKE

He needs a buff. Armies no longer rely on him to stop rushes, because he is unable to do so. After introducing Abbie, & buffing Andor, defense is too common in rush armies to employ spike effectively. Additionally, with drain, it is very hard to trade wounds effectively late-game with him. He can’t cost any less else rushes are stopped too quickly, nor any more, as slow as he is. He can’t wound for much more, he already eats 2 defense units for breakfast, nor will increasing his defense do much. Thus the only buff left is to give him 3 arrow, but that doesn’t solve any of the problems above. I’d recommend giving him +1 attack, but there’s not enough space for that.

I’d also request:

A gold unit that has arrow 2, other than spike. The other factions have one, & gold is supposed to excel at sniping stuff.

A general theme for W-C hybrid armies, G-C has acolytes, G-W has crazy production, but C-W has (reaper+wolf)/burnout/(bolt+spearhead). Pick one please.

In case anyone actually reads all this, please leave some feedback.

PS: thx for bringing back live matches, wooooooooooooo!!!!!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  impronoucabl.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  impronoucabl.

lengthyusername

Anrick: How long ago did you type that up? 3 bolt is a powerful ability. If your opponent has a full front row, that’s 21 unblockable damage. Even if it is situational, it’s a common situation. No other single unit can deal that much damage. Most units can’t deal that much damage under any circumstances. Ethereal is supposed to nerf him, not buff him. Ethereal also might be the only way to balance him, since a permanent 3 bolt from one unit would be terrifying.

Ozzle: Ozzle is currently better than Oberos and likely will be forever simply because it’s a fox. Wood having two free resource producers while the other factions have zero is powerful, but I think Ozzle’s real threat are its fox typing and fox pack abilities. At worst, it has a mere 1 attack. At best, it’s probably the top-most or bottom-most fox in the row, so Ozzle itself will have 2 attack, and a Flyt or Pyras next to it will have an extra 2 attack that it wouldn’t have otherwise, effectively giving Ozzle 4 attack. For comparison, Rowa was considered OP with 3 attack. Also, Rowa couldn’t produce wood while it wasn’t attacking.

Spike: He isn’t supposed to counter rushes.

impronoucabl

Anrick: My bad, when I checked the cost on this site: http://highgrounds.vehibase.com/ I thought it was a bit weird. Still, 11 crystal & a space is not equal to just 11 crystal. The cost is too high to cheat in spare crystals early, so unless you’re certain to draw 2 jimeins or the like, the crystals go to waste. As for bolt 3, think of it not as a single unit ability, but more of a 3 attack nerf to each of your own units. It is negated by having units with >3 atk. An Arthur does more damage & is permanent at a similar best case scenario.

Ethereal is bugging me because it has no upside at all. Burnout & Dormant are both meant to “nerf” those particular units, but they can be overcome with strategy. Frail/renegade requires the player predict the opponent to avoid loss, but Ethereal has no strategy associated with it.

Ozzle: I did not mean to suggest Ozzle attck @ the front in addition to the wood production. Just that having wood production that’s free on the back row is a problem, like the fix with Duig. What if Ozzle wasn’t a fox, but still had foxpack? I like that idea.

Spike: If spike isn’t supposed to stop rushes, then what is? And what is spike “supposed” to do? Synergy with knockout/flourish is usually done better with Illian/Rune, 15 gold is too much to pay for a 2 arrow unit. As for denying front row unit actions, the prevalence of defense renders this useless in most cases I’ve faced, rush or no. Usually you’ll still be able to wound 2 units, but usually not the ones you’d want to I.e Cliff, Jancen, Blight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Hg – Tips & Strategies’ is closed to new topics and replies.