Deck Build – Bloodlust (feedback welcome)

Home Forums Archived (Inactive) Forums Highgrounds Hg – Tips & Strategies Deck Build – Bloodlust (feedback welcome)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tetrajak 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Tetrajak

Relatively new player here; been trying to make a deck around Vyros and theme it around vampires, since he is one. However, I think this deck may be somewhat bloated, and I’d like to streamline it for its intended purpose. However, I’m not entirely sure where to go from here.

Dwila

Vyros x1
    Anrick x2
    Loom x2
    Dalint x2
    Impe x2
    Mirault x2
    Aethon x2
    Ghasper x2
    Tempest x2
    Ino x2
    Pep x2

Currently I’m using Ino’s in case I can’t pull out an Impe on T2. The dormant state of vampires is a hindrance, and this deck tends to suffer for the first few turns because of this. It can also have a problem later on into the game if an opponent is particularly resilient and their damage continues past the peak of this deck.

Worth noting that I currently posses 2 Celina’s, but I’m finding it favorable to just use Vyros instead. Although I could be wrong about this preference; I’m uncertain. I’d also prefer to use Zenders in place of Tempests, but I sadly only have one of them, so far.

Any advice and suggestions to help improve this deck would be gratefully accepted; cheers.

joystickmonkey

A few thoughts:
    – Blood Rage only increases attack, so your front line should primarily benefit from this. Dalint and Mirault benefit from this the most due to their vampire class. Aethon is the only other unit that benefits from blood rage in your deck, and he downgrades via transform. I would suggest adding a few other attack units that will receive the Blood Rage bonus. If rampage gets the blood rage bonus, Atrophus may synergize well with your deck as it has windfall. You could use it early on to score a few early hits, sell it for 4 to get Vyros out, and then beef it up with Blood Rage later on.
    – Get some defense on the front line! If you have a Rhyne, that could be a good unit to bring out. For 4, it’s a great defender and will get 3 attack bonus later on from Blood Rage making it a 5 atk, 2 def unit.
    – Picture how you want the end game to work, and then work back from there. From what I can tell, Vyros will cook three cheap units for the Blood Rage bonus each turn. This means 4 units on the back row and 6 units on the front. Hopefully Drain from Dalint will provide you some healing if Vyros takes a hit. Depending on how arrow-happy and back row defended your opponent is, you may need an Ino on your back row to keep Vyros well. On the front row, you’ll need to generate enough crystal to keep pulling three units to burn every turn. That means that your front row should probably be making 4 crystal, for a total of 6. Urns will get the damage bonus from Blood Rage, as will Deimors if you have them. I don’t really see a place for Anrick or Aethon in the end game because you’ll be using all of your resources each turn to feed the blood rage. I would either go with blood rage or a strategy where you hold onto a lot of resource generators and use them to keep bringing out big attackers. Or, perhaps you’re using Vyros more for the 3 drain. In that case, a shadebeast on the back row along with the two tempests will help you keep bringing out all of these downgrading units.
    – I would expect your main strategy to be brought to its knees if your opponent chooses to use lots of blocking on the back row, or doesn’t place anything on the back row. If I was against your deck, I’d be fortifying my back row (Ino, Rhyne and Ashara) while keeping resource generators on the front row. I’d also be nuking your back row with a Drake and using a Berna to snatch your crystal.

Tetrajak

Thanks for the tips!

Admittedly something that has now got me thinking is the wording of Blood Rage; “At battle start, sacrifice the 3 units in the SAME ROW below. For each sacrificed unit, +1 attack is given to all units; Gives +1 more if this unit shares a type with the unit being sacrificed.” The curious part is the ambiguity of the second part of the last sentence; “Gives +1 more if this unit shares a type with the unit being sacrificed.” What I’d really like to know is if that means the bonus is given if the sacrifice shares a type with Vyros, or if the sacrifice shares a type with the attacker receiving the bonus, or if the attacker shares a type with Vyros.

From memory I can discount the last of those three possibilities. Therefore it’s one of the first two. I’ve been running this deck on the assumption that the bonus is given if the sacrifice shares a type with the attackers. However, I’m curious enough to want to know which one it is, as that could drastically change how I run this deck (aka sacrificing cheap vampires and warlords to Vyros and putting whatever I like on the front line). I shall create a deck based on testing this theory, as I imagine constructing the deck and fighting a ghost match will take longer than getting an answer to this question from the developers.

joystickmonkey

Ohh, good question! I just skimmed the original meaning and thought that it meant the third option. Upon reading it more closely, it’s a combo of the sacrificed unit and whatever “this” unit is.

If it’s the second option (which seems more balanced than giving potentially +6 to all attackers) then I’d suggest setting up a skeleton/Blood Rage combo and sacrificing yuolen and urn, and loading your front line up with skeletons. You could call it your Blood Skeleton deck. :D

lengthyusername

I’m pretty sure it’s if the sacrifice shares a type with Vyros.

Tetrajak

My Blood Test deck has revealed that the Blood Rage bonus damage is given if the sacrificed unit shares a type with the Blood Rage unit. Therefore a Blood Rage deck should keep some cheap units that have the same type as the Blood Rage unit, but can otherwise contain any kind of attacker you so please.

This means my Blood Rage deck is going to get a heavy revamp. Giving it some thought; I’ll probably test out Vyros in place of Ashara in my skeleton deck and see how things improve.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Tetrajak.

Tetrajak

Second build of the Bloodlust deck follows;

Dwila

Vyros x1
    Loom x2
    Deimor x2 (although I only have one, sadly)
    Impe x2
    Mirault x2
    Jimein x2 (although, again, I only have one)
    Urn x2
    Grey x2
    Ino x2
    Pep x2
    Atrophus x2
    Rhyne x2

I need some bigger crystal attack units. The goal would then be to pull out all the large attackers, or enough of them, and then pull out Vyros to further amp them up.

Not entirely certain about the Greys in this deck. I’ll have to test whether they get the attack bonus or not (since they have Wolf Pack instead of Attack).

Further feedback would be much appreciated.

joystickmonkey

I believe wolf pack doesn’t get a boost. It at least doesn’t boost from Atk Squire. When “Attack” is boosted, it’s regular Attack, Honor and Rampage.

I think your deck has too many units, or at least superfluous units. I would build your ideal final setup as the base for your deck, and then add more units to round it out. You should start thinking about your commander too. What holes does he need to fill?

I’d pare the deck down to:
    Vyros x1
    Loom x2
    Deimor x1
    Impe x1
    Mirault x2
    Urn x1
    Ino x1
    Atrophus x1
    Rhyne x2

Which is 12 units. I’t’s up to you what new units you’d want to add, but the fewer new units there are, the more probable it is you’ll hit all the vampires you need to continue to fuel your Blood Rage.
    You’ll need one more attacker on the front, maybe a paladin + attack commander? You’ll run into issues with not being able to pull up three vampires each turn. Perhaps a 0 cost unit would be a good 14th unit, or perhaps a one cost producer.

impronoucabl

But Ashara boosts wolfpack………….(extra 1 damage, not the actual pack mechanic)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  impronoucabl.

Tetrajak

Turns out Blood Rage does boost damage done with Wolf Pack. Seems to boost every attack type ability.

Admittedly I don’t have a suitable commander as yet, but I’ll certainly be tuning one when I get the chance to respec.

I did a few test matches, and it turns out the cut down deck doesn’t have enough attack to win. I added the wolves back in, and another ino, and this gives enough attack.

More tests tomorrow, for now it is late.

soctopus1

One thing I might try would be putting in a Lyss or two. They’re only 4 attack each put if you put them on top of and underneath your Greys they give an extra boost to your Wolfpack, making the two Greys 9 attack each. Then you add 2 or 4 attack each with the bloodlust and you’re getting pretty powerful. The Lyss/Grey combo has been the main damage dealers for my Crystal deck for a few weeks now, and it’s easily my most successful deck (though that one relies heavily on arrows and fireballs). The other nice thing is that both Lyss and Grey give three crystal in the back, so they can help you ramp up more quickly to get those Vyros and Jimeins out.

Tetrajak

I have played around with various configurations for this deck, and while Lyss + Grey gives a good attack, it slows down the deck to the point that it’s difficult to beat decks that wound or rush. The extra punch from this deck should really be coming from sacrifices to Vyros.

The current version of this deck that I’m having the most success with is as follows;

Vyros x1
    Loom x2
    Rhyne x2
    Deimor x2
    Ino x2
    Lyss x2
    Mirault x2
    Impe x1
    Atrophus x1

This deck is still susceptible to a slow start, but this is due to pulling Miraults on turn one instead of Looms. I’m not sure adding more low cost production units would set off the draw chance enough to now impede drawing the necessary units later on.

joystickmonkey

If you swapped Lyss for Rorth, you’d have a greater chance of drawing a producer on turn 1. Tamurum could also be something that might work, and could fuel your Blood Rage or be a boosted attacker. Less overall economy, but you could still generate 11 crystal without too much worry. Maybe split the difference and put in one rorth and one tamurum?

Tetrajak

If I take out Lyss then I lose the attack potential that I need to do decent damage against better decks.

Adding a single Rorth appears speed things up somewhat. So while this works, it’s still not as powerful as some of the other decks I’ve been able to put together. However, attempting to put more powerful units into this deck only slows it down, sadly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Hg – Tips & Strategies’ is closed to new topics and replies.