Army Building Tips Ver 2.0

Home Forums Archived (Inactive) Forums Highgrounds Hg – Tips & Strategies Army Building Tips Ver 2.0

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  impronoucabl 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

impronoucabl

Ok, I’m updating my “generic rush deck guide” for a shorter, more user friendly thread. If you’d like to see the original it’s here: https://spryfox.com/forums/topic/generic-rush-deck-guide/
    This guide is aimed for a more broad range or armies & play styles.

For a shorter (mostly relevant, but out of date) guide, Raijinli has:
    https://spryfox.com/forums/topic/need-to-know-tips-for-new-players/

Background
    In this guide, I’ll be using a few complicated terms. In-game units are referred to in proper nouns.
    Here a few general definitions of terms I’ll be using, as well has some shorthand.

Army: Your “deck” or pool of units to choose from in-game.
    Arrow: An ability that wounds units in the opposing back row.
    Attack power: the total amount of attack generated by an army. Not to be confused with Relative Attack Power.
    C: Crystal, a unit of resource.
    Commander: A customized unit that each player has access to.
    Damage: The reduction of a city’s morale; or the relative attack power divided by 4 (ignoring remainders) + 1
    Disruption: A tactic used to cripple an armies economy, usually during the early-mid game stages.
    Early game*:Turns 1-4
    Frail: Units that are immediately knocked out wen wounded.
    G: Gold, a unit of resource
    HG: Highgrounds
    Knock out: To forcefully remove a unit from the battlefield. Usually occurs to wounded/ frail units.
    Late game*: Turns 8+
    Mid game*: Turns 5-7
    Production: Units that produce resources (I.e Crystal/Gold/Wood). These may include units that steal, tax, etc.
    RAP: See below.
    Relative attack power: The difference between you & your opponent’s attack power.
    Speed: How quickly an army intends to win a match.
    W: Wood, a unit of resource.
    Wound: 1. A state in which a unit is unable to use its abilities; or 2. An ability that inflicts this state onto opposing units(in the front row) from the front row.

*Generalization here. Some games may have weird situations where this does not apply, but these numbers are a good rule of thumb.

Onto the guide!

PART I ARMY CONSTRUCTION

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Step 1. PRODUCTION

Let’s begin with the thing ALL armies MUST have; specialized production units. A “specialized production unit” is any unit that you are going to use exclusively for production. Obviously, some production units are better than others, good ones include Loom, John & Duig. Depending on your army size and speed, you should allocate between 1/4 to 1/3 of your army as production units. Faster armies will require fewer production units, & bigger armies will require more.

(a common gold economy)

A common mistake I see many new players make, is neglecting their economy, especially during the crucial turns 1 & 2. If you can not hire any units on turn 2 >30% of the time, then you need to revise the production in the army. All good armies will never miss a turn during the early game to hire something.

(examples of wood production units)

Very large, or hybrid armies will also require recruit to be used effectively. I recommend getting AT LEAST 4 recruit for army sizes 14-18, 5 for 19-22, 7 for 23-24, 8 for 25-26, 9 for 27-28. I recommend you experiment around these numbers, as some armies will require specific units to be hired (needing more recruit), whereas other armies need to keep its options open (needing less recruit).

(crystal production units, missing a few I don’t have T.T )

The final consideration in this step is to consider a jerk opponent who delights in nothing more than disruption. These strategies are generally not beneficial for either player (details later), but will set you back further than your opponent if you’re completely unprepared for it.

Step 2. WIN CONDITION

Every army should have some way of wining the game. Once you have your production sorted out, add in your win condition. It may be a pair of Oakleys, or Arthur & a bunch or knights, or anything else capable of generating a decent amount of relative attack power (RAP). There are 3 common ways to do this.

A.Overpower
    This is the simplest way to win, all you have to do is generate so much attack power, your opponent can not match, nor beat it. This strategy relies on strong late game units, and usually a strong economy to support it.

(A typical example using knights)

Pros
    – once set up, they can be unstoppable
    – easy to use
    Cons
    – susceptible to disruption.
    – no back-up plan, if your opponent has a stronger late-game, then you’re screwed.

B.Rush
    Another common way to win, you cut back on your late game economy & units to generate higher RAP during early skirmishes. By this process you will eventually net enough damage to win.
    Pros
    – Quick & fast
    – resistant to disruption.
    Cons
    – lacks a late-game, win fast or lose.
    – linear game-play, not much variety outside of army construction.

C.Disable
    An advanced tactic to win. You wound/knock out your opponents units so that they only generate very little(if at all) Attack power, allowing your units to overpower their army.

(Debut of my spike & blight army)

Pros
    – able to overwhelm “overpower” type armies.
    – has nice interaction with opponent, very few “boring” games
    Cons
    – does require a fair amount of skill to use
    – see disruption section for details

Each of these win conditions have multiple was of implementation with different unit pools, leading to armies that play similarly , but with different units. Experiment to find out which play-style suits you best.

Step 3. SUPPORT & FINE TUNING

Once you have production & a win condition done, you have a “skeleton” army (No, not like Ashara). If you have 14+ units, you can test it out for weaknesses, pace, etc. This is the stage where you fine tune your army, to make sure it can recover from disruption, or any other possible weaknesses. E.g If your army is too slow, find a way to speed it up, or slow your opponent down.

Make sure your army has a back-up plan, or at least healers. Quickly run through these steps again & make sure you’ve got the correct production annnnnnnd

Finished! you’ve made an army, worthy of praise!

(Side) Note on Disruption

The purpose of disruption, is never to win a game. It is there to punish greedy players who take large risks, and nothing more. It differs from the “disable” win condition by its target, the opposing player’s economy, instead of the opposing player’s win condition. Use of disruption in a normal game should even put you at a disadvantage, as I’ve yet to come across any disruption units that are efficient enough to run in a normal game. Use it at your own risk.

PART II UNITS

Units have to be evaluated in how efficient they can be for our armies. For the most part, units are efficient in 1 of two ways, either in cost, or in space. As the game progresses, space efficiency is favored over cost efficiency, as during early-game you will have plenty of empty spaces, but very limited resources. Late-game, you should (hopefully) have plenty of resources, but very little extra space.

Cost efficiency is calculated pretty easily. To find out how cost efficient a unit is at an ability (such as attack), simply divide the ability No. by the cost of the unit.
    E.g 1
    Ramm costs 2 and has 3 attack. 3/2=1.5
    Harum costs 1 and has 1 attack. 1/1=1
    Therefore, Ramm is more cost efficient than Harum.
    E.g 2
    Payne costs 5 and has 2 wound. 2/5 = 0.4
    Spike costs 15 and has 4 wound. 4/15 ~ 0.27
    Therefore, Payne is more cost efficient than Spike.

Space efficiency is calculated by simply comparing 1 unit to another, ignoring the cost, to see which one does better, From E.g 1, Ramm is better, as he has 3 attack, vs 1 attack from Harum.

For composite units, with different abilities, here are a few quick generalizations:
    1 wound equals 2-3 attack
    1 defense equals 1-2 attack
    2 recruit equals 1 gold/wood/crystal

For more detail about commanders, (as a unit), Xyn made this guide:
    https://spryfox.com/forums/topic/how-to-build-a-commander/

& this is another helpful link:
    https://spryfox.com/forums/topic/commander-leveling-details/

That’s all for now, I might put up common army types (I.e real skeleton armies) and their strengths & weaknesses later in a reply. :P

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ninja edit starts here. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time for an update!

PART III PACING

Each strategy has its own different pacing. Pacing is similar to speed, but they are different concepts. What is pacing, exactly?

Pacing is the ability of an army to establish dominance in the battlefield, or to get out all the units required in a combo (I.e Matriarch). It is how quickly an army reaches the point it can no longer generate/deny any additional attack power by getting more, or different units out. It is how fast the army reaches its lategame*

Pacing is determined by army size and an average of costs. It will determine how fast an army “runs out of steam”. Rush armies will have very fast pacing, whereas overpowering, or disabling armies will have a much considerably slower pace.

When testing a new army, make sure sure it is paced the way you want it to. Sometimes it is ok to have pacing *slightly* faster, or slower than what you want, so experiment with what you have.

Breakdown of pacing speeds.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – — –

EARLY-GAME

Max Attack Power: <20 (B); ~30 (A)
    When: Turn <4

If your army is paced fast enough to rush a win during early-game, then either:
    A) Your army is blatantly OP; or
    B) Your army is blatantly UP
    In 99.99% of cases it is the latter.

If you are always getting this sort of pacing, consider adding more space efficient units.

EARLY MID-GAME

Max Attack Power: ~25-30
    When: Turn 4-5

The fastest of rushes belong to this category. These kinds of armies are of pure rush power, & as said before, win fast and/or lose quick. Foxes are a good example. Another is the Helm’s rampage with knights.

MID-GAME

Max Attack Power: ~30-40
    When: Turn 5-6

These armies are usually rush “counters”. They should fairly easily beat any rush army faster than them, but will have trouble rushing against slower paced armies. Examples are knight rushes and Dogs. A few have minor disruption.

LATE MID-GAME

Max Attack Power: ~40-60
    When: Turn 6-7

Armies of this pacing are disabling or overpowering armies. If it takes this many turns for your rush army to reach its max, you should consider starting again from scratch. It is not rushing. Also, you should note the max attack power of these armies, they range from just barely beating the Mid-game armies (disabling), to blowing them out of the water (overpowering). This is probably the most common pace among armies (E.g Arthurs, Golems etc)

LATE-GAME

Max Attack Power: +50 (highest I’ve seen was ~140), or complete board dominance (I.e your units are always wounded/knocked out)
    When: Turn 8+

Armies of this pace are pretty much unstoppable except against other armies of this pace. However, due to the very long setup time, they are vulnerable to rushes. Another possible weaknesses is from targeted disables at key combo units. Examples include (Burnout Revenge, or some crazy hybrid build [my personal favorite is Spike & Blight])

When comparing the “Max Attack Power” of your army & this guide’s, do not panic if yours is lower than suggested. Those numbers are generalizations, where some armies may have far better board control than others, but lack attack power. If you have followed the previous parts of the guide you should be fine. If you haven’t, then do so.

That’s all for now, have fun building armies :P

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ninja edit No.2 starts here. _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First update with the ninja editing system. Yay!

ADDITIONAL INFO

I’ve added this section to help newer players decide which faction to specialize in. You don’t HAVE to specialize in a faction (via faction packs), but I’d highly recommend it for beginners. It makes those first few weeks sooooooo much easier (&/or cheaper). Key units are the ones that can “carry” an army.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

GOLD

The default faction, gold is a flexible faction, capable of hybridizing & front row wounding well. However, as said in the FAQ, it is a “jack of all trades, master of none” faction, leading to sub-optimal specialized armies. It does however, have the most interesting production units, like Pency, & flip, as well as the best mid-game units. Gold has a very front-row-centric gameplay; you often try to take advantage of your opponent’s units, with abilities like honor, rampage & knockout. Gold rushes do exist, although slightly slower than Forest rushes, they make up by hitting & wounding harder.

Key units:

Arthur (ultra-rare)
    Front: 12 honor + 1 defense
    Back: 4 knightKing (grants all knights a +4 boost to their attack.)

Cliff (rare)
    Front: 10 attack + 2 defense
    Back: 8 protect + 1 defense

Spike (rare)
    Front: 4 wound + 1 defense
    Back: 2 arrow

Draiga (ultra-rare)
    Front: 4 Attack + X barbarian berserk ( gets +1 attack for each barbarian in your front row)
    Back: 2 barbarianKing (grants a +2 attack/rampage boost to each barbarian)

Tally (Legendary)
    Front: 1 defense + 2 vanguard (gets + 2 attack for each vanguard in your front & back rows)
    Back: 1 charity + 1 matriarch

Laginn (ultra-rare)
    Front: 3 attack + 1 stone ram (+1 Siege for every mountain unit on your front row.
    Back: 2 defense + stone wall (All mountain units get a +2 to defense).

Summing up GOLD

– Most cost & space efficient mid-game units.
    – Average costing healers
    – Strong mid-game economy
    – Easiest to hybridize with.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

FOREST

Forest is the faction of extremes. On one hand, you have the most cost efficient early game units, on the other you have the most space efficient late game units. This leads to two distinct types of forest armies, those that rush, and those that do not. The rushes of Forest tend to be reliable and disruptive, though very weak in the end-game. Other forest armies try to snowball their production to produce their behemoths, making a (near) unstoppable force.

Key units

Wail (ultra-rare)
    Front: 7 wolfpack
    Back: 4 recruit

Lynaia (ultra-rare)
    Front: 5 Wood + Frail
    Back: 1 matriarch

Era (ultra-rare)
    Front: 14 attack + frail
    Back: 2 defense + 6 healing

Blight (rare)
    Front: 13 attack + 2 wound
    Back: 5 recruit + 5 fireball

Cast (legendary)
    Front: 3 spearhead + dormant
    Back: 5 wood

Summing up FOREST

– Most cost efficient early-game units.
    – Most space efficient late-game units.
    – Most cost efficient healers
    – Strong, but risky early-game economy;
    – Average to hybridize with.

CRYSTAL

If Forest is the faction of extremes, then Crystal is the faction of balance. Having the most cost efficient late-game units, and space efficient early-game units, it has a slow, but safe economy. Due to this, there are no competitive crystal rushes at the moment, although there may be some in the future. Crystal gameplay tends to play itself out; aside from a few re-arrangements, they will naturally get stronger as your opponents do so too, with bolt, & duo abilities. Crystal’s late-game may not be as overpowering as Forest’s but it’s full of nifty tricks, like golemShield & drain.

Key units:

Ashara (rare)
    Front: 5 attack
    Back: 1 skeletonKing ( Grants a +1 bonus to attack & a +1 bonus to defense of all friendly skeletons.)

Gaeis (rare)
    Front: 4 golemSurge (generates 4 attack power per golem in the front row.) + burnout 5 (wounds itself if it produces more than 5 attack power)
    Back: frail + golemShield ( all golem become immune to wounds for this turn)

Ink (ultra-rare)
    Front: 2 bolt
    Back: 1 recruit + renegade

Jimein (rare)
    Front: 12 attack
    Back: 3 recruit

Shadebeast (ultra-rare)
    Front: X deathbolt (generates X^2 attack power, where X is the number of wounded units in your front row.) + 14 burnout (wounds itself if it generates 14 or more attack power.
    Back: 5 crystal + 1 defense.

Summing up CRYSTAL

– Most cost efficient late-game units.
    – Most space efficient early-game units.
    – Least efficient healers. (Makes up with drain).
    – Strong late-game economy.
    – Hardest to hybridize with.

That’s it for now, If you happen to have any good screenshots (especially if they show one of the win conditions) feel free to give me the link, & I’ll see If I need to use it in the guide.

Gl;Hf!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  impronoucabl.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  impronoucabl. Reason: New update!
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  impronoucabl. Reason: Images!
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  impronoucabl. Reason: Images!
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  impronoucabl.

joystickmonkey

I tend to take a slightly different approach, but it’s very similar. I can skip out a lot of the details that are already covered above.

When I make an army, I know I will have a total of 10 units out – most likely 7 on the front and 3 on the back row. In most armies, this final arrangement is what will win you the game. As a beginner, it’s easiest to play with a clear goal of getting your good units out. The easiest armies to build with this mentality tend to be the ones that do as much damage as possible. You’ll probably want some healers on the back row in the end game, and some guys on the front row that do lots of damage.

Once I know what my end goal is, I build up an economy to basically get me to that stage. Usually it involves having a bunch of 2 resource producers and some 3 or 4 resource producers that I can bring out later. You should practice against the computer with this army and see if you’re able to get your units out without trouble. This stage takes a little bit of tweaking, and you can figure out a good balance between units and the resources you need to bring them out.

After you get this figured out, you add the support units that block, wound, etc. These units will help you get to a winning position FIRST. If your opponent’s units are all wounded, he can’t bring out the big units and get to their end game setup. I have a deck that doesn’t do a very high max damage, but it evenly distributes lots of wounding and blocks a lot of incoming wounds. It will lose if someone gets a really big army out, but I try and do as much wounding as possible to keep them down.

impronoucabl

Moved to above post. (I.e ninja edited)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  impronoucabl.

george011

How can you possibly have enough wood to put out Blight and enough gold to put out Spike at the same time?

impronoucabl

Kren. :)

impronoucabl

Testing ninja editing system

impronoucabl

Bumping up for update. If you haven’t noticed already, all the updates have been moved to original post.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Hg – Tips & Strategies’ is closed to new topics and replies.